An autumn staple – serve on Bonfire Night with lashings of sour cream & fluffy rice!
Ingredients (to serve 5):
- 500g Meatbox lean minced beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- 1–2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 150ml red wine
- 1 beef stock cube crumbled
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp caster sugar (or a generous glut of tomato ketchup!)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- ﬂaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the beef and onions. Cook together for 5 minutes, stirring the beef and squishing it against the sides of the pan to break up the lumps. Add the garlic, 1–2 teaspoons of chilli powder, depending on how hot you like your chilli, and the cumin and coriander. Fry together for 1–2 minutes more.
- Slowly add the wine and then the stock, stirring constantly. Tip the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan and stir in the tomato purée, caster sugar, and the mixed herbs. Season with a pinch of salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer on the hob, then cover loosely with a lid. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mince is tender and the sauce is thick. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve